Due to the high number of new bird flu cases in the UK, from noon today (17,10,22), the government has announced a country wide Avian Influenza Protection Zone (AIPZ)
This means all poultry keepers MUST,
- Keep free ranging birds within fenced areas, and that ponds, watercourses and permanent standing water must be fenced off (except in specific circumstances e.g. zoo birds).
- Clean and disinfect footwear and keep areas where birds live clean and tidy.
- Minimise movement in and out of bird enclosures.
- Reduce any existing contamination by cleansing and disinfecting concrete areas, and fencing off wet or boggy areas
- Keep domestic ducks and geese separate from other poultry.
- Ensure the areas where birds are kept are unattractive to wild birds, for example by netting ponds, and by removing wild bird food sources.
- Feed and water your birds in enclosed areas to discourage wild birds.